Published and promoted by Paul Mercer, 58A Wards End, Loughborough LE11 3HB This site only uses cookies in order to collect anonymous usage data for Google Analytics and StatCounter. By using this site we assume that you are happy to receive cookies.
Burleigh Road Burleigh Road is named after Burleigh Hall. The first reference to Burleigh Hall occurs in 1644 when it was owned the Hastings family.  It was the third William Jesson (1650–1711), grandson of William Jesson (1580–1651) the Coventry dyer, Mayor and MP, who established a family seat at Burleigh Hall. He married Penelope Villiers of the influential Villiers family of Brooksby on 23 January 1669, he having been knighted the previous year. In 1700, the estate was taken over by the Tate family. In 1847 Burleigh Hall was described as being a mile from Garendon Park, and located in the middle of parkland containing deer. At this time the hall was owned by Miss Julia Tate who John Sherburne described as having selected a collection of paintings with much taste and placed her mark upon the property with it showing the handiwork and judicious mind of woman. The Hall was probably constructed in the second half of the seventeenth century, likely to be linked to the arrival of the Jesson family. Given a Georgian appearance around a century later, it was described as having an “ornate pedimented facade faced eastwards towards the town, and [a] plainer one, westwards towards Charnwood Forest” at the time of its demolition. Having been an estate of around 374 acres in 1831 it had fallen to around 90 acres in 1958 when it was sold to the College, being then added to the Campus forming the area west of the existing playing field site.
Published and promoted by Paul Mercer, 58A Wards End, Loughborough LE11 3HB
Burleigh Road Burleigh Road is named after Burleigh Hall. The first reference to Burleigh Hall occurs in 1644 when it was owned the Hastings family.  It was the third William Jesson (1650–1711), grandson of William Jesson (1580–1651) the Coventry dyer, Mayor and MP, who established a family seat at Burleigh Hall. He married Penelope Villiers of the influential Villiers family of Brooksby on 23 January 1669, he having been knighted the previous year. In 1700, the estate was taken over by the Tate family. In 1847 Burleigh Hall was described as being a mile from Garendon Park, and located in the middle of parkland containing deer. At this time the hall was owned by Miss Julia Tate who John Sherburne described as having selected a collection of paintings with much taste and placed her mark upon the property with it showing the handiwork and judicious mind of woman. The Hall was probably constructed in the second half of the seventeenth century, likely to be linked to the arrival of the Jesson family. Given a Georgian appearance around a century later, it was described as having an “ornate pedimented facade faced eastwards towards the town, and [a] plainer one, westwards towards Charnwood Forest” at the time of its demolition. Having been an estate of around 374 acres in 1831 it had fallen to around 90 acres in 1958 when it was sold to the College, being then added to the Campus forming the area west of the existing playing field site.
This site only uses cookies in order to collect anonymous usage data for Google Analytics and StatCounter. By using this site we assume that you are happy to receive cookies.