Published and promoted by Paul Mercer, 58A Wards End, Loughborough LE11 3HB This site only uses cookies in order to collect anonymous usage data for Google Analytics and StatCounter. By using this site we assume that you are happy to receive cookies.
Loughborough Library A Carnegie library is a library built with money donated by Scottish-American businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. 2,509 Carnegie libraries were built between 1883 and 1929, including some belonging to public and university library systems. 1,689 were built in the United States, 660 in Britain and Ireland, 125 in Canada, and others in Australia, New Zealand, Serbia, the Caribbean, and Fiji. Few towns that requested a grant and agreed to his terms were refused. When the last grant was made in 1919, there were 3,500 libraries in the United States, nearly half of them built with construction grants paid by Carnegie. The library was linked to an office to the rear and a house of Packe Street.In the mid-1960s a large library extension was built on to the main range. This involved the demolition of most of the original porch at the side, but the interference to the rest of the building was kept to a minimum and the original walls and even a window survives covered over in present cupboards in the link.
Published and promoted by Paul Mercer, 58A Wards End, Loughborough LE11 3HB
Loughborough Library A Carnegie library is a library built with money donated by Scottish-American businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. 2,509 Carnegie libraries were built between 1883 and 1929, including some belonging to public and university library systems. 1,689 were built in the United States, 660 in Britain and Ireland, 125 in Canada, and others in Australia, New Zealand, Serbia, the Caribbean, and Fiji. Few towns that requested a grant and agreed to his terms were refused. When the last grant was made in 1919, there were 3,500 libraries in the United States, nearly half of them built with construction grants paid by Carnegie. The library was linked to an office to the rear and a house of Packe Street.In the mid-1960s a large library extension was built on to the main range. This involved the demolition of most of the original porch at the side, but the interference to the rest of the building was kept to a minimum and the original walls and even a window survives covered over in present cupboards in the link.
This site only uses cookies in order to collect anonymous usage data for Google Analytics and StatCounter. By using this site we assume that you are happy to receive cookies.